This page has moved to a new address.

Beauty in the City

Worcester Is MAJOR!™: Beauty in the City

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Beauty in the City


For a city that has been down on itself for more years than I can remember, what strikes me as beautiful and inviting, may strike some folks as a downright pain in the ass.

Take for instance, Union Station. Have you ever tried driving by the station around 6:45 PM? Well, not only is the station buzzing with people returning from a long day of work in Boston or Framingham, it’s the site of the infamously known Washington Square.
I’ve lived in Worcester for 7-years and there has not been a year that goes by when there hasn’t been some type of construction taking place in the area. I think someone can’t make up their mind on the area is decides to dig up the circle and roads in order to afford their expensive bottles of Vino or pay for a child’s college education.

What I’ve found is there are a number of drivers that avoid Washington Square like the plague, similarly to Kelly Square. You know Kelly Square, the 7-headed beast of an intersection that will leave a driver with whiplash from having to looking back-and-forth checking and double-checking for oncoming traffic.

I might have to speak with Commissioner Robert Moylan, Jr. about the continued construction and the promise that, “The majority of the work will be done this year,” as he was quoted in the Telegram &Gazette on August 25, 2007.

Well, I certainly hope we’re past the “rough patch” of the construction phase and the roundabout will be completed in early 2008.

I know, I’m asking for a lot when old-man winter is around the corner and construction workers don’t enjoy working outdoors when the weather plays foul. Well, I take consolation in, if the weather is anything like the fall of 2006, the weather won’t get bad until after Three Kings Day.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home