This page has moved to a new address.

Gumby inspired Hip Hop

Worcester Is MAJOR!™: Gumby inspired Hip Hop

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Gumby inspired Hip Hop

I heard the news that Gumby creator, Art Clokey, died last week and I
immediately thought of the claymation Gumby and Pokey show, but I also
recalled a hairstyle that ran rampant in the late-80s and early '90s.

Some folks might be old enough to remember Gumby on television or even
"Davey and Goliath", a series that spread Lutheran messages. If not,
Google it or look for videos on YouTube.com.

The cherry on the Sunday for me, was the haircut that was inspired by
the Gumby character that many males in 1988 through 1992 wore.

The most famous Gumby-wearing singer was none other than Boston's
Bobby Brown, of the group New Edition.

Yes, there were other rappers or Hip Hop socialites that wore a Gumby,
but it was Bobby Brown that rocked it with conviction and let the
world know in 1988 that it was "My Prerogative".

The hairstyle coupled with the fashions from the early '90s will
forever leave their stamp on that decade and I always find it funny
when a fashion trend resurfaces and the kids adopt it.

I know now what my parents meant when they said, "what goes around,
comes around."

Rest in peace Art Clokey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home