This page has moved to a new address.

Joe Wilson: SC Representative's outburst & The 9-year-old

Worcester Is MAJOR!™: Joe Wilson: SC Representative's outburst & The 9-year-old

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Joe Wilson: SC Representative's outburst & The 9-year-old

Last night, I looked forward to hearing President Obama's speech to Congress and was apprehensive because I wanted to hear the President outline, very clearly, what he was proposing for Health Care Reform.

I was also very apprehensive regarding how he would be received when he entered the chambers; whether he would be applauded and or hissed at. I was pleased to see and hear that it was the former.

When Obama began to speak, my daughter, all of 9-years-old, turned to me and said, "I'm proud to see President Obama speaking. I hope one day I can see a woman President speaking to Congress." That statement summed up all that we as parents can do, inspire, educate and encourage children to think larger than themselves.

I paid attention to Obama's speech, picking up on the key points that he was proposing to Congress and America about Health Care Reform and encouraging people to read the proposal and listen to what he had to say.

Then, like a ton of bricks, a comment was shouted from the balcony,"You lie!", to which President Obama glared in the comments direction, Vice President looked down and shook his head and Speaker of the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, looked like a deer-in-headlights and blinked profusely.

My daughter turned to me and asked, "What did that person just say?", to which I said I thought the person said, "That's a lie". She immediately said, "That's rude to say to anyone who is speaking, especially the President." Again, an "Aha" moment.

Suffice it to say that I know why Barack Obama is the President of the United States, for he is a better man than I am. With all my patience and understanding that people may not always see eye-to-eye, all my Caribbean, Southern, West Indian and Dutch roots would have not allowed me to let the comment slide. Again, I know now, even more than before, why Barack Obama is the President of the United States.

Yes, South Carolina Representative Joe Wilson immediately apologized for his outburst, but that doesn't change the fact that we expect alot from our children, the future leaders of this country, and yet we have adults that act like children, sometimes.

President Obama has a tough road to travel, but I know he's "Built for It", and for that I'm encouraged.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home