This page has moved to a new address.

Keepin' It Real: Too Far Gone

Worcester Is MAJOR!™: Keepin' It Real: Too Far Gone

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Keepin' It Real: Too Far Gone


When I read this story about a Chicago kid being shot and telling police that he won't say who his murderer is, I shook my head.

This is the sort of thing that is happening in major cities and smaller towns, alike, all over the United States, and kids are taking it to some new extremes.

Right here in Worcester, I've heard from students that I mentor in a work readiness program, the the code of the streets is "No Snitchin' Allowed".

I'm nit sure where this "not cooperating with police" started or why the feelings have been heightened over the years, but this is a problem and I wonder what law enforcement in Chicago, New York City, Boston, Los Angeles and Philadelphia are doing to combat this thinking?

Yes, some will say that the "village mentality" is needed and that there is more community policing taking place, but, even then, there are folks that fear saying something to the police because," I have to live HERE!"

Read the full story in the Chicago Sun Times: http://bit.ly/djuKcT

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thought you'd be interested in this study done on snitching at 7 Boys & Girls Clubs in MA including Worcester.

http://ncvc.org/tvp/AGP.Net/Components/DocumentViewer/Download.aspxnz?DocumentID=43495

June 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home