This page has moved to a new address.

Underperforming Public Schools

Worcester Is MAJOR!™: Underperforming Public Schools

Monday, October 18, 2010

Underperforming Public Schools


When I read the report from the Institute on Urban Health Research at Northeastern University, immediately I noted that while urban, public schools are underperforming, there are a number of Massachusetts charter schools, whose population is very diverse, in some instances, being more than 80-percent Black or Hispanic, and are outperforming their suburban peers.

For example, in Boston, the many urban schools that are underperforming are pretty much on their own and its only a matter of time before they're closed.

I'm sure that within the very near future the chatter regarding the underperforming schools in Worcester will become louder.  Worcester Public School Superintendent, Dr. Melinda Boone, will have to break the news to the public and I can only imagine what those town hall meetings will be like.  This is one time where, as in math, a negative plus a negative doesn't equal a positive.


So, what's the answer? 


Well, we can't expect folks to move their family from Worcester to towns such as Shrewsbury, Auburn, Millbury and Holden. Shoot, I'm sure the good folks of those towns don't want a ton of folks moving into their respective town and usurping resources (hey, I'm only being honest).

I've come up with a few solutions:
  • Assess what is being taught at the charter schools, paying special attention to the teaching methods.
  • Review the charter school's hiring practices.
  • Implement longer school days.
While I'm sure you can add a number of additional items to this short list, I have to say that I purposely left "parent involvement" off the list.  From my experience, parent involvement at charter schools is very high and parents/ families are engaged and involved in school activities and pride themselves on such.  What's the reason? I honestly don't know.



Lastly, I would recommend every public school move to a "uniform" dress code. 

Students would be easily identifiable to their peers, the public and it dissuades the pressure that some children feel by not being able to afford the latest clothes and shoes.

It's a start, and I'm sure the researchers that drafted the Institute on Urban Health Research report are going to release some more information regarding their findings in early 2011.


I wonder if Superintendent Boone is working on her own report?

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Novick said...

Dee, can you post a link to the actual report, please? I don't think I've read Northeastern's.
The stats I'd be interested in are poverty rates; that's usually the one most closely tracking standardized test scores.

October 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home