This page has moved to a new address.

Road trippin': How often do you venture to Boston?

Worcester Is MAJOR!™: Road trippin': How often do you venture to Boston?

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Road trippin': How often do you venture to Boston?

I was speaking with a neighbor the other day. After the usual topics about family, work, the weather and the economy, we started discussing the fact that, George, rarely goes to Boston.

I had to ask him when was the last time he'd been to Boston; he said it had probably been 2-years. "Wow", was my response.

Now, I used to live in Boston, and whenever I had to venture West of 495, I thought there was very little "life" beyond that major highway (I'm just being honest).

I venture to Boston about every 4-weeks, and it's usually to meet someone who's visiting or on my way to Logan airport.

I remember when my family and I moved to Worcester and we used to spend our weekends in Boston because we knew the city, had our favorite restaurants to dine at, and we had friends that lived there still.

That has since changed with many friends opting to move to Georgia, North Carolina and Florida to be closer to family and to raise their families.

With the debate percolating regarding the commuter train expansion of their service, I wonder if we can expect a few technological companies calling Worcester their home?

So, that belies the question: How often do you visit Boston?

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You mean the Boston area, not Boston proper, right? It's all Boston to me, even when it's Medford or Somerville or Cambridge. I'm venturing into Boston more often, now that my girlfriend took a job in Somerville, but I avoid it as much as I can. Before her job, I mostly went into Boston for charity events such as the Komen walk, or events at the Larz Anderson Museum of Transportation. That added up to about twice a year. Now I might go into Boston about 6 times a year.

I hate the traffic going into Boston. If I could help it, I'd never go inside 495... Also, I can appreciate all the things to do in a big city such as Boston, but overall I find big cities dirty and claustrophobic. I prefer to be farther from the madding crowd.

July 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Dee Wells said...

Yes, I mean the Boston area in general, Rich.

I think many people in Worcester have the same mindset that you have and try to avoid going to Boston as much as possible.

July 24, 2011 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger T-Traveler said...

With the debate percolating regarding the commuter train expansion of their service,

can you explain what debate is percolating?

both the MBTA general manager and Lt Gov. suggested increase in fares "are in the mix"

July 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger Dee Wells said...

T-Traveler...the debate that I've been reading about is whether or not Amtrak will be stopping in Worcester, and, if so, what that will mean to MA taxpayers and commuter rail passengers.

The long and short of it is, the costs to ride the trains are going to go up, but by how much is the more important question.

July 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home